Saturday, July 12, 2014

Fitness Nerds and whatnot

My mind was just sort of blown by this Nerd Fitness blogger. He posted a blog using The Matrix to explain food addiction and it was basically amazing. He does not appear to be one of those douchey, it's-not-that-hard-to-lose-weight-just-stop-eating-and-get-on-the-treadmill-fat-ass health gurus that makes everyone feel terrible about themselves or onna them TV 'doctors' that think a juice fast is a good idea and advocate 'health miracles' to the unsuspecting American who just wants to loose weight the no muss no fuss way. He's a nerd and an everyday guy who wants to--hold on let me get this right:

"inspire the Hell out of you to make positive changes and live a better life." 

I kind of dig that. I would enjoy having the hell inspired out of me; some sort of junk food dependency exorcism. Anyway, the bad news is I think I may be a food addict which it turns out is a real thing. According to the articles I read this morning, people can be addicted to lots of different things (just watch My Strange Addiction) obviously some of those addicts have a larger health issue like pica, but my point is that I learned addictions are all similar in their effect on the brain and the best course of action is abstinence. 

There is, of course, a large following of Team Everything in Moderation but some people just can't do moderation when addiction is present. Now, I really am not one of those people who believes everything should be labeled a disorder (I promise) but this may be a real thing for me and it's making it hard for me to overcome my Cake-rito demons. 

Abstinence is a big commitment, though, and if I've learned anything about myself in 31 years it's that commitments of any kind pose a problem. Not to mention all the good stuff I'll miss out on. Like what if Cheez Whiz goes out of business and I am abstaining from junk food? Haha, that will be a good thing, you say? Yeah, you're probably right. I still have some thinkin' to do though.

No comments:

Post a Comment